Saturday, August 14, 2010

First California Kayak Adventure

On wednesday august 11th I met up with Darin McQuid at his house in Davis to go kayaking the North Fork Stanislaus River "Hell's Kitchen. At the take out we met with Jason Craig. The North Fork Stanislaus River is an overnighter, what means that we have to carry all our sleeping gear as well as food in our boats.

The adventure started with a hike in of approximately 1 mile. This was hard for me due to the fact I'm not very used to carry my boat for that long so I got a wound shoulder. At the first day we had some portages and some nice whitewater, too. We set up our camp at a sweet spot next to the river, where we had a campfire to BBQ and cook at.
after a deep sleep we started the next day of kayaking. The start of this day was amazing. Lot of nice runnable rapids, including a 20", a 10" and other stuff like "Astrobiologist Creep".

me dropping "Perfect 20's"

Jason running "Astrobiologist Creep"

me running "Astrobiologist Creep"

The end of the trip turned out to be rocky boulder gardens, but still runnable.
All in all a nice trip, which is definitely worth doing it.
Thanks to Darin for the photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment