Sunday, April 10, 2011

Beat down

Three days after I moved to Arcata in Northern California I paddled the Burnt Ranch Gorge on the Trinity River. Three days before I leave Arcata I paddled the Burnt Ranch Gorge again. In between this time BRG became my local run. I ran it so often I stopped counting. I ran it at all kind of flows - from 500cfs during late summer up to 10000cfs just a couple weeks ago. During fall I ran it about three times a week!

I never portage any rapid and I never swam until today. During my last run down the Gorge I got my ass kicked.
The rapid is called "Table Rock". I went for the mean-line on the river right. The hole down there was just waiting for me. According to my companion Damon I did a couple nice cartwheels and other tricks - but the hole didn't let me go. I was not able to control my ride very well and finally decided to go for the wet exit. I pulled my skirt, exit the boat but hold on to my paddle. I recirculed three times as a swimmer until I got out of that nasty hole. I did let my paddle go after a few recirculations and finally got out. My boat was already floating downstream.
Luckily my boat got pushed into an eddy. Damon went after my paddle while I was swimming to my boat.  We got all my stuff together and finished the run. Even I had my first swim this year in that nasty spot it was a great day. We had a level of 2800cfs which is a really great flow.
I love that run - especially at a little higher flows.

Today the Trinity punished me for going for taking the mean lines.

Here some pictures of BRG:

#2 at 3200cfs
photo by Mister Mullet aka Leif Anderson

in the meat of #3

Hennessy boof

Check out some Burnt Ranch Gorge videos:


at summer / fall flows


at 2700cfs


at 10000cfs

2 comments:

  1. way to go for the meat lines it was only a matter of time before something gotcha it was long due before you swam in the ranch. Too bad you have to leave

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha, it sounds like you took the same table rock beating I did a few years back. But seriously, what a great run!

    ReplyDelete